Reading time: 3 minutes.
Stability, trust, and exclusivity are some of the main reasons to consider going into a direct trade partnership, but with a myriad of different options available, how does a small or medium roaster choose the right direct trade partnership for them?
When considering buying directly from origin make sure to analyze various key points in addition to simply their quality of coffee. If a company is lacking in logistics expertise, flexible minimum order quantity and shipping options, or overall professionalism in the company itself, it can turn the beautiful experience of buying coffee directly from origin into more of a nightmare.
Before you decide to engage with any direct trade partner make sure you complete the following checklist:
- Is the coffee they are offering a one time item or will there be availability year after year?
- Is the coffee being sold by a formally registered company with all necessary documentation and legal status?
- Do the sales consultants speak your language?
- Can they manage to comply with all necessary importation requirements in your country?
- Are you offered a legal purchase order with official bank information and reasonable terms and conditions?
Here at Those Coffee People we take our partnerships with roasters and importers very seriously. We are a fully registered legal Colombian company, are native and fluent bilingual English speakers, and put a heavy focus on correct paperwork or labeling for easy of importation to the country of destination. We know that taking the leap of sourcing your coffee directly from origin compared with a local distributor is a big milestone in many roasters’ business development, and we are here to ensure that you have a partner you can trust and rely on.