How to Establish Direct Trade Partnerships?
Reading time: 3 minutes.
1. Consider stability, trust and exclusivity
Stability, trust, and exclusivity are some of the main reasons to consider going into a direct trade partnership, but with a myriad of different options available, how does a small or medium roaster choose the right direct trade partnership for them?
2. Analyze not only the coffee quality but also their whole processes
When considering buying directly from origin make sure to analyze various key points in addition to simply the quality of coffee. If a company is lacking in logistics expertise, flexible minimum order quantity and shipping options, or overall professionalism in the company itself, it can turn the beautiful experience of buying coffee directly from origin into more of a nightmare.
3. Before you decide to engage with any direct trade partner make sure you complete the following checklist:
- Is the coffee they are offering a one-time item or will there be availability year after year?
- Is the coffee being sold by a formally registered company with all necessary documentation and legal status?
- Do the sales consultants speak your language?
- Can they manage to comply with all necessary importation requirements in your country?
- Are you offered a legal purchase order with official bank information and reasonable terms and conditions?
Here at Those Coffee People, we take our partnerships with roasters and importers very seriously. We are a fully registered legal Colombian company, are native and fluent bilingual English speakers, and put a heavy focus on correct paperwork or labeling for ease of importation to the country of destination. We know that taking the leap of sourcing your coffee directly from origin compared with a local distributor is a big milestone in many roasters’ business development, and we are here to ensure that you have a partner you can trust and rely on.
Considering your interest in this article, we recommend:
- Creation of Those Coffee People
- A guide to importing coffee beans into Japan
- A guide to importing coffee beans in the US
- How to import green arabica coffee beans into Oman
- A guide to importing coffee beans into Saudi Arabia
- Sourcing green coffee beans – A buyer’s guide
- A guide to importing coffee beans into Kuwait
Editor’s note: This post was originally posted on March 2019 and has been updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.